It’s been a long week.
Not only has the mother of all seasonal bugs hung out in your nose and lungs for some time now, but you’ve also been visited by the your biggest nemesis: your self doubt.
Dare you post a blog about this? Have it read for all to be seen? I fear that in writing this I take away some of my power, as someone who’s chugging along doing my work, looking like I have my shit together. But enough is enough! I find it hard to want to be an artist when I feel like I can’t get out of my own head, so to acknowledge it and push through it, I would like to say a huge FUCK THAT!!!
There is no limit to how much you can try to learn. And college is just the beginning of that process! So in the spirit of lovin on myself, here is a list of the go-to activities I can do to pull myself out of a funk:
- Take a shower! Suck up that steam, son!
- Take yourself out on an artist date, Julia Cameron style. *Check out The Artist’s Way for more helpful artisty goodness.
- Go see more of Boston!
- Go eat a meal that activates your sacral chakra 😉
- Make the choice to donate to a charity or organization you care about.
- Call an old friend.
- Start a new book that has nothing to do with what you’re working on at school.
- Give yourself specific tasks that are DOABLE to take care of yourself and stay productive about what work you need to get done.
- Make a new playlist.
- *Meditate* feel the ground under you and just b r e a t h e .
- Go on a walk. Let yourself think everything you need to think.
- And finally, if you are HUNGRY, ANGRY, LONELY, or TIRED you need to take care to put yourself back in balance so you can be at ease!
Remember that you’re doing all of this because theatre is the way that you engage with the world! There are stories to be told and it’s only with an open, honest heart that you can fill the work you do with life.